What are some safety and exercise considerations when beginning a stretching routine
Starting to incorporate flexibility training can be a great way to improve your health and well-being, but it's important to take some safety and exercise considerations into account to prevent injury and ensure your success. Here are some things to keep in mind when beginning a stretching routine:
- Consult with a medical professional: Before starting any new exercise program, it's important to consult with a medical professional, especially if you have any exercise limitations or medical conditions.
- Set realistic goals: Set realistic goals for your stretch routine, taking into account your current fitness level and lifestyle. If you are looking to improve your flexibility for everyday activities, then setting the splits as your goal is completely unrealistic and probably not achievable. Start with small, achievable goals. For example: to start out add 10 minutes of stretching to your weekly schedule three times per week.
- Add dynamic stretching exercises to the beginning of your routine: It's important to warm up your body before static or active stretching in order to achieve your flexibility goals and to help prevent injury.
- Use proper technique: Make sure you use proper technique when performing flexibility training exercises in order to maximize their efficiency by activating and/or relaxing the proper muscles or muscle group and balance the joints.
- Listen to your body: Pay attention to your body and how it feels during the exercises. If you feel any pain or discomfort, stop and either find another exercise or consult a medical professional.
- Hydrate and fuel properly: Make sure you drink enough water as hydration affects flexibility.
- Rest and recover: Believe it or not, you do need rest times in between flexibility sessions. Especially once you get to a certain level. Be careful not to over stretch the same muscle group or joint on a daily basis without professional recommendations.
Remember that safety and exercise considerations are key when beginning any fitness routine. By following these tips, you can help prevent injury and enjoy the many benefits of regular stretching.
Stay up to date with all the Extensa™ news!
We hate SPAM. We will never sell or share your information, for any reason.